Monday, December 22, 2008

Earlier this month I had an opportunity to speak to students in a speech-language pathology class about fragile x syndrome and parenting children with disabilities. Few people, including therapists, know what fragile x is, so it was a wonderful opportunity to share what I've learned over the past 16, nearly 17 years. What I did not say, however, was what a blessing the children have been to me, and how much I have learned about compassion and empathy, about the hearts of others, and about love that asks for nothing but love in return. At this time of year, it is important to remember these lessons and to cherish the time that I have with my children and with others affected by disabilities.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful post of hope to read this time of year! I look forward to learning more about fragile X on your blog. Congrats on starting such a meaningful blog lady!

    Phyllis R. Neill
    www.shementor.com

    ReplyDelete